Monday, April 07, 2008

Dan Marino shakes the groom's hand

As Joe's wedding gift, I got him a ticket to meet NFL Hall of Famer Dan Marino at a big football spectacular this past weekend, and let me tell you...this was the best gift I could ever have given to Joe. What a moment for him, to shake his hero's hand and tell him 'meeting you was my wedding gift,' which Mr. Marino seemed to LOVE. I'm sure those guys get tired of signing autographs for people who are going to run home and put it up on eBay, people who aren't really fans. When they meet someone who says 'meeting you is my WEDDING gift,' that has to feel good. I was in front with the camera (praying that I got the shot), and Dan Marino stood up and leaned forward to shake my hand as well. I wasn't expecting that. I have no idea if I said anything to the guy, as focused as I was in making this moment great for Joe, but I'll always remember how pleased Dan Marino looked to be a part of our big day. That's awesome. Oh, and Joe also got to meet Mercury Morris, a member of the '72 Dolphins with the perfect season. We just happened to chance upon him. The whole day was amazing. As a bigtime football fan, that was like Disneyworld to me. "There's Jim Brown!" "There's Peyton Manning!" John Elway was apparently right next to Dan Marino, but that didn't even register with me. I'm a bit of a spaz with football greats. So, luckily, I didn't say to Dan Marino "We have your wine!" (www.charitywines.org) like I dreamed I would. My man was happy. That's what matters most.