Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The first day....

My first post...on the first day when it actually FEELS like spring outside, so of course I want to shut this down and go for a walk around the lake. But I'll stick around...coffee's on and I'll be helping my neighbor's aunt with her novel manuscript later this morning.

Rather than rattle off the titles of the 28 wedding books I've written, let me introduce myself with some more unexpected things...I live in an old Victorian mansion that actually *is* haunted. Nothing scary, no Redrum in the mirror or bleeding walls. Just a tug on my skirt now and then, the bread on the kitchen counter falling to the floor, a reflection in a mirror or window, the sound of laughing in the other room. My housemates have seen or heard her too, and we think there might also be a child or a pet of some sort. I don't blame them. This house is so gorgeous and has such personality that I'd never want to leave either. As long as they're friendly and I'm not levitating off the bed, they can stick around.

In other fun news, my younger brother is planning his wedding. We've just chosen the bridesmaids' dresses, and in all honesty this dress is more gorgeous than my wedding dress was. Red, backless....just stunning. I'm thinking back to other bridesmaids' dresses I've worn in the past, and Steve's fiancee Deb gets a big thumbs up for this selection. So I imagine that this blog will focus a lot on the wedding that I'm a part of, since I've been reporting on and writing about weddings for so long. I have a unique perspective...

I'll also be going to a wedding in a few weeks with J, the handsome man who has excellent taste in wine, movies, and women (that would be me). Yes, my dating life will be a part of this blog, since I'm often asked "How can you write wedding books when you're not even married?!" Sigh... Especially wince-worthy when it's my nephew asking that. The answer: I'm phenomenally happy with my life. If a really amazing man adds to it and makes me smile during the day thinking about something clever or inspiring he said, if that first kiss melted my shoes, fantastic....so stay tuned for my report from the wedding I'll be attending with J. He's 6'1", so I'm going to have to wear high heels. I'm used to being in bare feet while working at home, so this should be interesting.

Other snippets: I'm a huge American Idol fan, so Tuesday and Wednesday nights are blocked off my schedule. No writing, no TV or radio interviews, just AI; I'm working on a new book with Casey Cooper, who did Oprah's flowers for her million-dollar wedding contest; It's baseball season again; I have Girl Scout cookies in the freezer; I raise money for the leukemia and lymphoma society since both of my parents were diagnosed with blood cancers in the last two years (Mom's in remission, Dad's undergoing chemo); and I'm trying to re-create the fondue dipping sauces I had when I lived in Europe. Still can't get them right, but I'll keep trying.

Tonight is writing by the fireplace with a great glass of Pinot Noir, lemon chicken and garlic spinach, a rationed Girl Scout cookie or four, and watching American Idol after talking to J. Does it get any better than this? My ghost says No...

Stay tuned...