Thursday, March 30, 2006

Honorary Spokesperson

I'm thrilled to be the Honorary Spokesperson for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Taste of the Towns event on June 5th. http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=252816. As I mentioned, both of my parents battled blood cancers last year, and I'm very active in helping this amazing society fund the research and patient care that we're quite confident played a *huge* part in my parents' care. (Dr. Botti for President, by the way) So in addition to being spokesperson at Taste of the Towns, I've just received a packet for the Mother's Day Tea Party -- a brilliant idea: a virtual Tea Party on Mother's Day, with Red Rose tea bags sent to everyone on my list. No crumpets necessary, just good will and a great cup of tea. Plus, I'm donating 15% of my royalties for 2006-2007 to the LLS, as I have with the Jersey Battered Women's Shelter in the past. I couldn't be happier about being in a position where I can make a difference for any patients and their families...having experienced the kindness of others who came before me when I and my family were in that dark forest.

I have a Maya Angelou quote hanging in my living room that seems quite appropriate to share: "When we cast our bread upon the waters, we can presume that someone downstream whose face we may never see will benefit from our action, even as we enjoy the gifts sent to us from a donor upstream."