Monday, November 10, 2008

In memory of my Dad


In memory of my Dad
Well, we knew the day was coming...last week, my Dad chose to stop chemo and come home to pass away peacefully after a 3 1/2-year battle with blood cancer. I was by his bedside for his last breath, which was merciful considering how terrifying the slow, natural death process is. While I'm grateful that my Dad's suffering is over...no one would want a parent or any loved one to last a second longer in that state...I'm overwhelmed with sadness that he's gone.

One detail I'll share from his memorial service is that I arranged for a barbershop quartet to sing a few songs for him. Dad loved barbershop quartets, and these delightful men pulled it together at 10pm the night before the viewing. I was so glad to give my Dad this last one gift...

Now, my Mom and husband and I dig into the mountain of work in settling his estate, getting the hospital bed and oxygen out of the house, and all of that fun stuff. It's all about auto-pilot to get the work done, and then there's crying in the car to get it all out on the way home.

He was a master steel detailer, and so many important buildings stand strong because of the fine work he did. So when you see the State of Liberty's base...my Dad did the reinforcement on that. When you see the scoreboard at Rutger's Stadium, that's my Dad's. We can all hope to leave a mark on the world, to leave it a better and more beautiful place than we found it...my Dad certainly did that. Strength, courage, attention to detail. That's the legacy.