Monday, October 02, 2006

Diplomacy

The stories are coming in for my Bride's Diplomacy Guide, and this is going to be good. I'm 20,000 words in to the 60,000-word project, and time just disappears while I'm working on it.

I'm finishing up a pair of stories for New Jersey Bride, including a profile of a phenomenal bridal shower coordinated by Tina LaMorte of Oh So Fabulous in Maywood (www.ohsofab.com). Guests said they felt like they were at the Oprah Legends Ball, and I can definitely see why. The bride mentioned how thrilled she was to preface her destination wedding with a shower held at the home of a friend, next to their pool where she had so many wonderful memories going way back to the 1st grade. She learned to swim in that pool, and now that was the site of her bridal shower. The real beauty of any wedding or shower is in those personal touches, the reach back into the bride and groom's history.

Joe and I had a fantastic weekend, a highlight being his cousin's son's birthday party. It was jungle-themed, and they had a zoo keeper there with all kinds of animals from snakes to tree frogs, turtles, and gekkos. The kids loved it, and I'm amazed at the themes of kid parties these days. Thinking back, I remember my own little school-age birthday parties, one of them being at the zoo. Now, Joe and I are planning our own Halloween party here in my haunted house (the ghost keeps turning my computer on at night -- "Get back to work, you!") and we've had a blast at Party City going through the decor items, figuring out what to make, getting our costumes together. Too much fun.

So today's a writing day, and I'm just waiting for my coffee to be done before I dive in...