Monday, July 31, 2006

Wedding superstitions

Wedding superstitions have been around forever, and I just read through some new ones at www.PashWeddings.com where I answer questions on the forum. I thought I'd heard everything, but 'have a housecat eat food out of your left shoe' and 'it's good luck to find a spider in your wedding dress' were new to me. It's both good and bad luck to wear pearls, and whatever you do, don't rip your dress on the morning of the wedding.

I just finished a ton of Monday business and am procrastinating before I get into the new book. This one is 'The Bride's Diplomacy Guide,' and as I'm fleshing out the sections, it's hitting me that so many of the problems brides face with others boils down to one thing. The offender's mindset: "Your happiness is costing ME something, so I'm going to cause problems, roll my eyes, sabotage your plans, and insult your partner -- all to deflate your joy, so that I'm not miserable and scared of the future all by myself." I wonder if they'll let me put that on the book's cover? And with that insight into the bottom of the problem whenever a happy couple gets trouble from others, the diplomacy can do its work. This one is going to be tremendous fun to write.

Joe's home. The world has color again. We just got some tiki torches for the back deck and barbecued chicken to pair with turkey sausage, peppers and onions, and salad. Spent yesterday at the pool and we're planning an end-of-summer trip to the beach. I hear there are some dolphins I need to see.