Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The power of the pen

After a long day of writing, my eyes are bleary. But I got an action E-alert from the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society about a new bill going before the Senate that would limit cancer patients' health insurance coverage. With a few clicks on the site, I sent letters to my senators, and it reminded me of the power we all have with our pens (a.k.a. computers in most cases) and our voices. It's an honor to have a voice in your government, to be heard. So my quick note tonight before my eyes cross is to find out your representatives' email addresses and write to support or oppose whatever issue is in motion. What's important to you? What do you want to be heard on? Those who fought for our freedom of speech, our safety in addressing our leaders, smile on us when we do so...

Toll House cookies are in the oven right now, white jasmine tea on my desk right here, the fireplace is glowing with embers, and I'm down to one article still left to do before our weekend away. Bliss, bliss, bliss....

Oh, and Oprah had on the author of a book about questions you need to ask before you get married. I pitched that idea to one of my publishers a few years ago. Granted, I'm not a therapist or a relationship coach, so I wouldn't be the best person to write that one. You might think I have some sour grapes going on along with my white jasmine tea and chocolate chip cookies, but I don't. I'm just happy the message is out there: prepare for the marriage, not just the wedding. Ask the big questions and -- more importantly -- the little questions. There's no better platform in the world than Oprah's show, and I'm smiling right now thinking of the millions of people who will soon be working through that book, asking the questions, really doing the REAL work of preparing for marriage. Those who focus only on their sparkly ring and the color of the napkins are in real trouble. Brava, Oprah, for covering the topic. Good to see...